Niagara Falls, Ontario
This project involved restoration and reconstruction of the Oakes Garden Theatre Trellis Pergola. Completed in 2017, this project was the first phase to a larger restoration of the entire Park. Considered a City of Niagara Falls Heritage Treasure, the lands was donated to the NPC by Sir Harry Oakes. At the time, the chair of the Parks, Thomas Baker McQuesten, had a love of gardens and landscape. He commissioned Howard Burlingham Dunnington-Grubb to design the park, a Founding Father of landscape design in Canada. The park was designed in Beaux Arts Style and completed in about 1933. The pergola was taken down in 2013 by the NPC due to public safety concerns evident through the structural failure of the supporting gravity walls. The demolition was not organized or properly documented, with over 100 pallet skids of stone removed and stored offsite.
The challenge of the reconstruction was to use current day rain screen technology, utilizing a new curved steel structural spine, over 100 pallets of stone both face stone and architectural stone pieces were cut to a 90mm bed face. The stone was catalogued and carefully and skillfully erected back as it would have been.
The trellis feature was replicated and lighting was added to accentuate the form.